Troubling pet poisonings
A steep increase in UK pet poisonings: Troubling toxins
Many dog and cat owners in the UK are unaware that pet poisonings have risen a shocking 73% over the past five years according to a recent article published on the Express website. Some of these conditions and deaths are intentional and others are accidental.
The RSPCA (Royal Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) has been examining this suspicious rise of poisonous threats to our pets and their findings are frightening. Even though the RSPCA is based in Australia, they reported on a disturbing case from Pontypridd, South Wales, a few years ago where there was a suspicious trail of meats found littered on a busy street that were laced with deadly poisonous pills.
Although it’s horrific to imagine someone is intentionally poisoning our pets, sadly it still occurs and the culprit of this particular crime was never caught. What may be even worse, incidences included in this statistic about an
alarming increase of animals ingesting toxic substances are often accidental. Many of these dangerous digestive dilemmas are commonly found inside our flats, gardens, out buildings and other sources in, around or near our home.
For example, across the pond, the ASPCA (American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals) recently published their “Top Ten Pet Toxins of 2016,” with some surprising entries. None of us should be amazed to see items like chocolate, certain types of “people food,” and finally, OTC (over the counter) medications being put as number one on this roster. But others may come as a surprise and we should take notice.
Protecting our pets
Some other obvious toxins include things like fertiliser and insecticides that we keep tightly contained and out of reach for safety’s sake. But what about common plants found both inside and outside of our dwellings?
There’s a long list of these potentially poisonous growths, even those found delivered from our local florist that can be dangerous or even deadly for pets (and even children). Again, while some are obvious like Nightshade for example, others seem less than harmful such as English Ivy or Laurel. While we’re keeping ordinary poisonous substances locked away, we should also be protecting our animals from exposure to many suspicious types of greenery.
While we’re at it and keeping insecticides carefully tucked away from exposure to our animals, sometimes we overlook a troubling transference problem. Think of it this way, if we, which includes our neighbours and official agencies, are using insecticides to rid ourselves of unwanted pests, these troublesome critters are still ingesting poisons and could be posing a significant problem to our pets.
Whether these toxins are being accidentally discovered by our pets or they’re meant for other animals, before or after the targeted critters have died from ingesting them, this type of transference from casual contact is still problematic. Some of these rodents have built up a tolerance to these toxins and if there was a “cat-and-mouse” scenario occurring, an innocent feline could accidentally ingest enough poison to cripple or kill them.
Taking protective measures
While always doing what’s best to protect our pets, sometimes we need to be extra vigilant and look for unusual ways they come into harm’s way. Just a little bit of extra awareness can go a long way when it comes to keeping our animals safe.
Written by Amber Kingsley
Travel junkie, Amber Kingsley, is a freelance writer living in Santa Monica, CA. Her art history background helps her hone in on topics that are of interest to readers. She is a dog enthusiast and loves spending time with her pomeranian, Agatha.