Dog Trick 1. “Hello”
Really impress your guests when your dog presents his paw to greet them
This is the first trick most dogs learn and it is very easy:
- Kneel down and ask your dog to sit in front of you.
- Gently lift his pause off the ground, shake it warmly, then treat and praise him.
- After doing this a couple of times, instead of lifting his paw, just touch his leg.
- If he does not get it, help him by lifting his paw a small amount. Praise him regardless of whether he needed assistance or not.
- Once he has the hang of it, start signal the command with the word “Hello”.
- You can progress to using an outstretched arm, but build up gradually.
- You should then encourage your guest to greet your dog in this way, thereby further reinforcing the command and creating a positive experience out of meeting new people.