TheGentle Leader® offers you a whole new concept in the control, training and management of your dog. No matter what the breed, size or age of your dog, the Gentle Leader provides “power steering”, kind control and effective leadership, and makes training at home quick, simple and fun.
It’s the only patented canine headcollar in the world because of its unique action and effect on the way your dog behaves and communicates.
- Easy To Fit
- Easy To Use
- Will Not Fall Off Your Dog’s Nose
- Soft Strong Nylon Webbing
- Comfortable To Wear
- Will Not Ride Up Into Your Dog’s Eyes
Dogs have a natural instinct to pull against pressure and dogs waIked on choke or regular collars still pull, even though pressure on the throat causes pain and choking and even though their owners rnay yank, tug and shout to try and stop them.
The Gentle Leader does not choke your dog. It is scientifically designed to direct your dog’s entire body by controlling his head and nose. And wherever his nose goes, his body must surely follow!
The Gentle Leader dissuades your dog from pulling on the lead by transferring the pressure of his efforts to the back of his neck via the neckstrap, while the pressure of the noseloop communicates your natural leadership. Your dog’s instinctive resistance to these redirected pressures causes him to stop pulling to relieve the pressure at the back of the head and to relax and walk easily by your side. Full fitting and training guide included.
How to use a Gentle Leader?
Pulling on the lead is one of the few unpleasant experiences of bringing up a new puppy or dog. In recent years, dog head collars such as the Gentle Leader have revolutionised our ability to help train good lead walking manners, as well as being a useful training aid to help keep your dog’s attention. Although Gentle Leaders fairly straight forward to use, it is important that head collars are correctly fitted and that your dog be properly acclimatised to them.
How should the Gentle Leader fit?
The Gentle Leader collars should fit fairly snuggly such that one finger can fit under the strap that fastens behind the ears. The nose strap should locate no closer than 15mm from your dog’s eyes. On the Gentle Leader, the clip should tighten under the chin such that only one finger fits.
How do I acclimatise my dog to the Gentle Leader?
It will take a week or so to acclimatise your dog to a Gentle Leader collar. But these tips should help smooth the way:
- Have some tasty treats at hand. Place the Gentle Leader collar over your hand such that it hangs around your wrist.
- With the same hand, hold a treat with your fingers and offer it to your dog, but holding the treat such that they have to nibble at it. As your dog is nibbling the treat, simultaneously slide the collar over its face.
- Now release the treat and while they are munching away, finish fitting the Gentle Leader clasp. Give your dog another treat and praise them warmly.
- At this point it is important to keep your dog distracted- either by you playing with him or letting your dog use its favourite toy. After 2-3 minutes remove the Gentle Leader and play for a few more minutes.
- Repeat this 3-4 times a day for the first week and only playing with your dog whilst they are wearing the Gentle Leader collar. As you progress, start to introduce a command word that your dog can start to associate with the collar being fitted. Don’t use a lead until your have completed this stage.
- Once your dog is able to wear the Gentle Leader Head Collar for 5 minutes without distraction (i.e. scratching or trying to remove it), attach his lead and continue playing with them for a few minutes. Repeat this until your dog is not distracted by the Gentle Leader or lead.
- Once your dog is acclimatised, gradually build up the time your dog spends wearing the Gentle Leader and lead to the point you can take short walks.
- Remember, keep this a positive experience for your dog and don’t try to achieve too much in one go.
- Don’t allow your dog to wear a Gentle Leader head collar unsupervised. This will give them a chance to learn how to remove them.
- Never tug your lead hard when your dog is wearing a Gentle Leader head collar. This may cause them neck injuries.
- For the same reason, never use retractable or very long leads as these may allow your dog pick up speed before the lead takes up.
“Just had to write and say how amazing the gentle leader head collar is. I have a beautiful 14 month old black lab, who has given me tennis elbow because of all the pulling on any and every lead. I have spent over £50 on leads and collars in the past.
The Gentle Leader arrived today and couldnt wait to test it out. So I took him to school AND He walked like an angel, my daughter was able to walk him home for the first time and even my friends couldnt believe the totall change in him. So calm and a pleasure to take him out. Thank you. I have already recommended the Leader and your site to several dog owners.”
Angie – E. Yorkshire
Large, Medium, Small
Legs & Mobility